Sunday, June 11, 2006

Layoffs

Besides Isabelle Giorgis, the tremendous French teacher who has been at City for eight years, we are now losing social studies teacher Mr. William Jefferies. According to sources, he got the axe on Friday.

It's a sad state of affairs that 10% of City College's teaching positions are being eliminated and no one seems to know. Where is the outrage? Where is the media coverage? Where are the parents? Where is the organization to stop this from occurring?

Attrition will apparently cover up most of them, at least in terms of people losing their jobs without a choice. However, that didn't work for Ms. Giorgis or Mr. Jefferies. And it's not going to work for us students, who will have larger class sizes and fewer resources next year because of it.

This sucks.

1 comment:

Young'un said...

My God, there wasn't even the slightest indication of Giorgis getting the axe...
This really does suck. I remember my first year up City, and Madame Giorgis was my French II teacher. Good times. I even wrote a love poem using the French that I learned in that class...don't know where it is now, but I did write it.