Monday, July 09, 2007

More reactions, this time from teacher

Hello everyone,

I am sure you all are aware of the outrageous punitive actions taken by our principal against three of our colleagues, Sedrick Smith, John Morrow, and Patrick Daniels. I have been out of the loop a bit but when I heard about their dismissal from City I was shocked and dismayed by the knee-jerk retaliation against three of our fine teachers and significantly, three of our Union Chapter representatives.

I for one cannot accept this lying down. I am willing to meet, write, organize, or whatever, to help reverse this most egregious act taken by a person who is supposed to represent what is best about City College.

I append a letter from Dr. ________ who is responding to one of our staff members who wishes to remain anonymous. At the time ___ wrote this letter only Sedrick Smith had been informed of his non-renewal. For further clarification, the number to Dr. Alonso's office gets you right to his secretary, but she will direct you to call Dr. Wortham's office at 410-396-8622. I suggest you immediately call both numbers to include your voice in what should be a firestorm of protest. I also suggest you contact other teachers from City so they can assist in reversing this appalling action intended only to undercut any voice of dissent from the faculty.

I do not understand why these sorts of things always happen at our school and I wish they wouldn't. Our kids deserve a more stable and educationally sound environment.

Despite this latest turmoil, I hope all of you are having a wonderful summer.


(A City Teacher)


From: _________________________
To: xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: city
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 03:06:35 +0000
Hi XXXXX! As soon as Sedrick told me he'd been non-renewed, I talked with the union attorney, ... I have kept him informed, and also have talked with the ACLU, who are interested in at least following the case, and maybe taking it on if the union is unsuccessful.

There's no question that Mr. Dawson violated federal and state labor law which prohibits retaliation against employees for union activity.

The only questions, as always, are the sickening procedures: Do the employees have to go through a long grievance process before litigation begins? What options for delay do the school and system administration have? If administrators delay long enough and the teachers accept reassignment or just take other jobs to pay the bills, do they complicate or even lose their right to sue, etc.?

Because of these problems, I think a broad political approach is best. Parents and faculty must try to phone both City and the new CEO, Dr. Andres Alonso (410-396-8804) immediately in large numbers, simply saying that these teachers must be re-hired at City. The alumni association should do the same. I have already spoken with about a dozen students who should also phone the school and central office. And the lawyers should send formal letters threatening legal action.

I think about 100 calls will turn this around, if they are all made with in about a one week time frame. Please keep in touch. There will obviously be repercussions afterwards, but as you know, I think struggle is for the best!!

Thanks again for writing!

No comments: